Published by Arpin Gajjar,
There are many emerging technologies and sciences that are still unknown to the common man. Some of the utilities of technology that are adopted by the people and are useful for their daily lives become popular and are known easily by their names. However, there are some technologies that are restricted to labs and experimental professionals who after years of research and studies configure these technological concepts according to how they can be utilized for the betterment of the mankind.
A growing technology: One such growing yet less popular technology in the world is called finger tracking. Like the name suggests it is a type of digital tracking system that involves the human fingers and their motion with respect to a frame of reference.
If you have ever played a video game on a Kinect console, then you must be familiar with this phenomenon. With sensory movements, the computer or console can track and record your body movements in different directions. These are then imitated or displayed on the screen in a virtual setup or environment. You can play several games by moving your body and limbs in real time but they will appear to be moving on the virtual screen as well.
What is finger tracking technology? Similar is the case with finger tracking system. It is a type of technology that helps in the detection of the movement of the fingers by recording their consecutive positions at different directions. Through this movement of the finger, a 3-dimensional image or visualization is created.
Apart from being used for imagery and 3D objects, the finger tracking systems are also employed as input devices for computers and laptops.
Finger tracking devices: In this scenario, it acts as a small external device that is worn or attached to the fingers and helps in tracking the movement of those fingers. It acts as an add-on device for the user and his system. Being wireless and sensitive, it can be used easily without any burden or weight. In many cases, you can also find tracking devices for the hand as well. For fingers, you can opt for three finger device or five fingers.
The finger tracking devices can be divided into the following components:
- A handpiece is provided that can be attached to the back of the hand to monitor its overall movement and motion.
- Finger marking portion consists of small clip on finger length markers that can be easily attached to the fingers and their tips. These finger parts are connected through small wires to the handpiece at the back.
Through an effective finger tracking system, users can extract the following information and data:
- Motion and position of the hand side of the hand
- The fingers and their numbers according to the tracker
- Movement of the fingers in various directions and speeds. Measurement of movement radius, lengths and angles are provided with great accuracy through this system.
Implications and Usage:
- In the upcoming years, experts predict that finger tracking systems will be a vital component of virtual reality and its related products.
- Finger tracking systems are used for 3-dimensional modeling projects in various engineering organizations and architectural companies. It is best suited to aid CAD programs and analysis of prototypes in production facilities.
- It will be one of the key contributors to the industries of animation and graphic designing.
Due to its high-cost gadgetry and devices, this technology is still not available to the public at large. However, we do hope to see further progress in the technology so that it can be adopted in consumer goods and services as well.
The writer of this article, Cathy Homes is a tech journalist and blogger at Assignment Service and she writes many articles on this site.